Baptiste Gerbier studied Economics in France (CERDI) and in Canada (McGill University). He has been working for 12 years on economic issues in developing countries, especially at macro level (support to Ministries of Economy and Finance and Ministries of Energy). He has a strong experience in :
- public finance management, especially the budget cycle: Programming (needs & targets), Planning (actions), Budgeting (Initial Finance Laws, Medium Term Expenditures Framework.), Monitoring (expenditures execution, Final Finance Laws) and Evaluation (results-oriented indicators, recommendations).
- designing, monitoring and evaluating sector and national development strategies.
- support to statistical system (survey implementation, data review, institutional reforms...).
- donors coordination (thematic groups, political dialogue, budgetary aid...)
- capacity building for institutions (institutional support, development of procedures and procedures manuals) and individuals (teaching, organizing trainings...).
He also works at micro level, through support to social entrepreneurs (creation of sustainable cybercafés, promotion of sustainable construction techniques...).
Since 2014, he mostly works on energy issues, with a focus on energy efficiency (especially in the building sector) and access to energy (especially in rural areas).
Baptiste worked for various donors (EU, UNDP, FAO, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs...) and NGOs (Handicap International and Association la Voûte Nubienne). He worked in Mali (7 years) and in Burundi (2 years) as well as in various other countries for short term assignements (Chile, Ivory Coast, Rwanda, Senegal, Togo and Vietnam). He is trilingual (French, English and Spanish).